Wednesday 8 June 2016

Emotions can lie


Up next in the 'From Brain to Veins' journal - sometimes emotions lie. It is easy for us to know this in our minds, but when we are in the midst of an emotional outburst or meltdown, that knowledge can go out of the window.

How often have you found yourself having an over-the-top emotional response to something? When it happens, do you realise that it is not really a response to the particular happening, but something deeper? Whenever I have a response that seems way too big for what has actually happened, I ask myself : is this response justified? Is it reasonable? If it isn't, then what is it really about?

I may be intensely angry or frustrated at some trivial thing. Chances are my emotions are lying to me. I'm not angry about what has happened, but what has happened is in the same vein as something I'm harbouring anger about. Something bigger and deeper.

Of course, it may just be that I'm tired, or my blood sugar levels have dipped, but even then, my emotions are lying to me.

So beware!










1 comment:

  1. I love this, Tracy...getting to the depth of what is really going on underneath the surface emotions is truly the way of the soul.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.